WENDY S. WHITE
Home Add ress and Telephone
7011 Meadow Lane
Chevy Chase, Md. 20815
Business A ddress and Telephon e
Shea & Gardner
1800 Massachusetts Ave., N . W.
Washington, D.C. 20036
Shea & Gardner, Washington D.C., Administrative Partner (1992 – 1996); Partner
(1982-present); Associate, Shea & Gardner (1975 – 1982).
Associate Counsel to the President of the United States (February 1996-March 1997).
My responsibilities were varied, including various Congressional investigations; immigration,
labor and education issues; Campaign Finance Reform legislation, Hatch Act inquiries, and
Areas of Expertise. During my approximately 22 years of practice, I have specialized in
trial and appellate litigation, labor law, employment-related counseling and litigation, and
product liability cases. I have written briefs and/or argued cases in the United States Courts of
Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth, Sixth, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits and
have prepared briefs in the United States Supreme Court. I have also litigated in numerous
state trial and appellate courts.
Representations. Matters I have litigated or worked on include:
(1) Since 1976, I have represented the United Mine Workers of America Health
and Retirement Funds in labor and antitrust litigation involving the ” purchase-of-coal clause”
of Article XX(d) of the National Bituminous Coal Wage Agreement, and other provisions of
the collective bargaining agreement; litigation involving the Coal Act; employment and
personnel matters relating to Funds ‘. employees, and other miscellaneous issues.
(2) Since approximately 1980, I have represented Cassiar Mining Corporation, a
Canadian asbestos mining corporation, in personal injury cases arising from occupational
exposure to asbestos. This representation has required litigating cases nationwide in state and
federal trial courts and in the various courts of appeals. I have also handled litigation for
Cassiar involving alleged property damage resulting from the use of asbestos in building
products, including major class action litigation that is still pending.
(3) I have represented a consortium of asbestos manufacturers known as the
Center for Claims Resolution (“CCR”), in connection with a nationwide class action and
prepared briefs in connection with constitutional, product liability, and ethics issues relating to
the tort litigation.
(4) I have represented the American Council on Education, various colleges and
universities, and faculty members in connection with employment and personnel issues.
(5) I have represented the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the
Protestant Episcopal Church in connection with various employment issues and in supervising
an investigation into embezzlement of Church funds by the former Treasurer.
(6) I have represented the National Hockey League Players Association in
connection with collective bargaining, pension, insurance, arbitration, and other legal issues.
(7) I serve as ethics counsel to the American Psychological Association in
connection with proceedings relating to complaints filed against APA members.
(8) I have represented the Women’s College Coalition in advising them with
respect to constitutional issues relating to their single sex admissions policies, in assisting the
Coalition in preparing appellate briefs in cases challenging these policies, and in other matters
relating to the operation of the organization.
(9) I served as a special master in a product liability suit involving the Red Cross
and as a mediator in a tort suit against Planned Parenthood.
PROFESSIONALLY RELATED ACT1 VITIES AND MEMBE RSHIPS
(1) I have spoken on various employment issues at the Conference of the National
Association of Teacher Attorneys.
(2) For the past six years, I have been a program speaker at the Stetson College
Conference on Higher Education on topics related to personnel and employment issues.
(3) I was on the faculty ‘of a trial advocacy course in Boulder, Colorado offered to
attorneys working for the Environmental Protection Agency.
(4) I am a member of The American Law Institute.
J.D. magna cum laude, 1975, University of Pennsylvania Law School,
— Order of the Coif
— Editor, University of Pennsvlv ania Law Review
B.A. magna cum laude, 1972, Goucher College, Towson Maryland. Field of
— Phi Beta Kappa
— 1970-7 1 : Undergraduate studies at the London School of Economics, London,
PERSO NAL INFORMATIO N
Born December 4, 1950, in Terre Haute, Indiana.
Married August 20, 1972, to Lawrence White, employed as the University
Counsel for Georgetown University. Two children: Miriam Wheeler White (born
July 3, 1981) and Andrew Fisher White (born July 3, 1984).
WENDY S. WHITE