RICHARD W. ROBERTS
United States District Judge for the District of Columbia, 1998-2013; Chief Judge, 2013-2016; Member, Judicial Conference of the United States, 2013-2016; Senior Judge, 2016-present.
EDUCATION: A.B. cum laude 1974, Vassar College; M.I.A. 1978, School for International Training; J.D. 1978, Columbia Law School.
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: Trial Attorney, Criminal Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Justice Department, 1978-1982; Associate, Covington & Burling, 1982-1986; Assistant U.S. Attorney, Southern District of New York, 1986-1988 and District of Columbia, 1988-1993; Principal Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Columbia, 1993-1995; Chief, Criminal Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Justice Department, 1995-1998.
Significant convictions obtained as federal prosecutor:
– serial killer in fatal racially-motivated sniper attack on two black Salt Lake City joggers
– police officer misusing force
– defendants in involuntary servitude cases involving child slavery in religious cult, peonage, and death of migrant worker forced to work against his will
– former judge in $2 million bank fraud scheme
– resort owner in $1.8 million tax evasion and currency transaction structuring scheme
– leaders of major multi-state car theft ring
– Mayor of Washington, D.C. for violating narcotics laws
AFFILIATIONS: Current: Board of Directors, Abramson Scholarship Foundation; Guest Faculty, Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop; Master, Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court; Archon, Sigma Pi Phi, Epsilon Boulé; The DePriest 15; Judicial Council, Washington Bar Association; Writing coach for 1Ls, Howard Law School; March on Washington Film Festival. Previous: Trustee, Vassar College; Board of Directors, Historical Society of the D.C. Circuit; Steering Committee, African-American Alumnae/i of Vassar College; Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Council for Court Excellence; Board of Directors, Alumnae and Alumni of Vassar College; National Black Prosecutors Association; Faculty, Department of Justice National Advocacy Center; National Conference of Black Lawyers, Washington, D.C. Chapter; Co-Founder, Deputy General Counsel, Secretary, Concerned Black Men, Inc., Washington, D.C. Chapter; Adjunct Professor, Georgetown Law Center.
RICHARD W. ROBERTS