JEFFREY F. LISS
PIPER MARBURY RUDNICK & WOLFE LLP
1200 Nineteenth Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20036
7101 Beechwood Drive
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
(301) 656-651 0
Nationwide Chief Operating Officer and Partner, Piper Marbury Rudnick & Wolfe LLP.
• Member of the firm’s Executive, Policy, and Strategic Planning Committees.
• Duties include oversight of the firm’s practice groups.
• Founder of The Marbury Institute, the firm’s well-publicized professionalism and training initiative.
• Maintains an active business and environmental litigation practice, as lead counsel in cases in
federal and state courts and agencies and before private arbitrators.
♦ Partner in predecessor firm (Piper & Marbury, LLP) since 1985.
Special Government Employee, Office of the White House Counsel (1996-1997).
• Assisted in the evaluation and confirmation of several Cabinet-level Presidential appointees (parttime
appointment, concurrent with my law practice).
Partner (1981-85) and Associate (1977-81 ), Wald, Harkrader & Ross, Washington, D.C.
Judicial Law Clerk, Honorable Charles R. Richey, United States District Court for the District of Columbia,
Adjunct Faculty (since 1986); Georgetown University Law Center (Remedies, Legal History, Business
Visiting Professor of Law (Fall 1996), University of Michigan Law School (Remedies).
Adjunct Faculty (1986), University of Maryland Law School (Administrative Law).
Adjunct Faculty (1978-85), Washington College of Law, American University (Anglo-American Legal
History, Advanced Civil Procedure – Discovery).
Visiting Faculty (1992), EPA Trial Advocacy Institute, Boulder, Colorado.
JD., University of Michigan, 1975
• Note and Comment Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, 197 4-75.
• Recipient, Louis Honigman Memorial Award, 1975.
• Intern, Center for Law and Social Policy, Washington, DC , 197 4
• Research Assistant, Honorable Arthur J. Goldberg (during Center internship).
M.A. (History}, University of Michigan, 1975
B.A. (Philosophy), with High Distinction, University of Michigan, 1972
• Honors in Philosophy and Class Honors.
CURRENT BOARD MEMBERSHIPS AND POLITICAL POSITIONS
Board of Directors, Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit.
Advisory Committee, D.C. Bar Foundation.
Board of Directors, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.
• Member, Executive Committee
• Chairman, Strathmore Concert Hall Committee
Treasurer, Friends of Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend (D. Md.).
BAR MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
Admitted to the District of Columbia and Maryland bars, to all Federal district and circuit courts in and for
those jurisdictions, and to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Co-chair, D.C. Bar Civility Implementation Task Force (current).
Professional Editor, Court History Project, U.S. Courts for the District of Columbia (current).
Member, U.S. District Court (D.C.), Early Neutral Evaluation panel of mediators (1989-95).
Steering Committee, D.C. Bar Section on Courts, Lawyers and the Administration of Justice (1988-1992).
Member, D.C. Bar Committee on Continuing Legal Education (1989-1991).
Chairman, Subcommittee on Fiduciary Obligations of Corporate Representatives of the Business Torts
Litigation Committee, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association ( 1988-1991}.
Member, D.C. Bar Admission Rules Study Committee (1987-88).
PROFESSIONAL AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Member, American Law Institute.
Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
Recipient, 1999 Pro Bono Service Award, Maryland State Bar Association
Frequently-invited member, Judicial Conference of the District of Columbia Circuit
Life Member, National Registry of Who’s Who.
Rated “av” by Martindale-Hubbell.
(Publications and Speeches available on request.)
JEFFREY F. LISS