Associate Justice, Supreme Court of the United States
Received a recess appointment from George Washington on August 5, 1791, to a seat vacated by John Rutledge; nominated to the same position by George Washington on October 31, 1791; Confirmed by the Senate on November 7, 1791, and received commission on November 7, 1791. Service terminated on January 16, 1793, due to resignation.
Richard C. Henderson was commissioned in 1978 by Judge George Luzerne Hart, Jr. of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to paint portraits of both sitting and former judges of the District Court. Mr. Henderson painted portraits of deceased judges by studying black and white photographs and talking with friends and family of the judges. Within a five-year period, he produced 23 portraits. At the conclusion of his commission, Mr. Henderson continued to paint portraits and landscapes. He taught at the Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida, as well as at several private art schools.
Mr. Henderson is a graduate of the University of Virginia, where he majored in Art and English. He holds a Master’s degree from Vermont College of Norwich University, which is today the Vermont College of Fine Arts. He studied at the National Academy of Design in New York, working with Daniel Green, a recognized pastelist. Mr. Henderson also studied under Harvey Dinnerstein, one of several artists trained at the Tyler School of Arts at Temple University. Mr. Henderson studied at the Art Students League of New York with Robert Brackman, a Russian artist who become nationally famous after painting the portraits of Charles and Ann Lindbergh, among others.
Private practice, Annapolis, Maryland, 1760-1762
Member, Maryland Provincial Assembly, 1762-1774
Delegate, Continental Congress, 1774-1777
Brigadier General, Maryland Militia, 1776-1777
State Governor, Maryland, 1777-1780
Private practice, Frederick, Maryland, 1780-1790
Member, Maryland House of Delegates, 1780-1782, 1786-1788
Chief judge, Maryland General Court, 1790-1791